Diesel hydraulic locomotives such as the British Railway Class 42
type first appeared in 1958. Germany was credited for being the expert in this area with the largest center of knowledge of diesel hydraulic locomotives.
The Western Region of British Railways required a smaller loading gauge to accommodate the British network so they negotiated with German manufacturers to develop a license to allow British train manufacturers to create a new design that was scaled down the V200 of the German Federal Railways.
The result of this negotiation was two types of class one built at British Railway's Swindon works and the other by the North British Locomotive Company. Sadly at the end of 1972 all of the British Rail Class 42s had been removed from service.
is based on a Class 42 locomotive but has been modified with a fictitious hydraulic claw mounted on his roof. This claw has a nickname which is Pinchy